Aug
 29
 2018



Ulrike

Hello,

Welcome back to The Spin! Today’s issue is dominated by people news. Donald Trump divides the minds with his bilateral trade deal with Mexico, New York’s most avant-garde designer has been snapped up by Italy’s traditional Zegna Group, Jean-Philippe Hecquet aims to get Lanvin back on track, and Adidas just pulled another member of the Kardashian clan on board. Enjoy the read and feel free to share! Best, Ulrike



markets

Waiting to exhale. Following Donald Trump’s modified trade agreement with Mexico, US Senate Republicans insist that Canada participates in a North American trade deal. The NRF and other trade groups would also prefer a three-way solution. Still, global markets soar since trade war fears are starting to ease up.


Advertisement
ANZEIGE





brands

Trophy Thom. To gain a foothold in the younger market, Italian fashion house Ermenegildo Zegna has acquired 85 percent of the avant-garde (image gallery) Thom Browne label. Founder Thom Browne, who loves to play with proportions (image gallery), holds the remaining 15 percent and stays on as Chief Creative Officer. The deal values the brand at $500 million.





retail

Phoenix from the ashes. US discounter Sears Holdings is expanding the ship-to-store tire program with Amazon, and its real estate spinoff Seritage is taking off with redevelopment projects across the US. Seritage was created in 2015 to find new uses for about 235 Sears stores. Hedge fund manager Edward Lampert is Chairman of Sears as well as Seritage, which just received a $2 billion loan by Berkshire Hathaway.





brands

New York, New York! Former wholesale-only jewelry, gift and home decor designer Kendra Scott has built her business into a successful retail operation that was valued $1 billion in late 2016. In addition to more than 80 US shops that hold about 10,000 in-store events every year, the label sells online and even has (paywall) a shop-in-shop at Selfridges in London. On September 4, Kendra Scott will open her first store in Manhattan.



Perfect win/win. Using only dead stock materials from larger fashion houses, LA-based designer Christy Dawn prevents countless yards of fabric from ending up in landfills. Her vintage-inspired creations are made by Californian artisans, each marked with its own number. Over in India, designer Kriti Tula employs a similar concept with her Doodlage label.





people

Comeback kid. To drive (paywall) its comeback, French fashion house Lanvin has appointed Jean-Phillipe Hecquet CEO. Hecquet, who’s worked for LVMH between 2001 and 2014, most recently held the position of CEO at Paris-based fashion label Sandro. He caught Fosun’s attention for his expanisve leadership and might also take the title of President at the Fosun Fashion Group.



Keeping up with the Originals. After a two-year stint with Puma, Kylie Jenner is now officially the latest member of the Kardashian clan to partner with Adidas. Following brother-in-law, Kanye West, and sister Kendall Jenner, who have been working with the brand since 2015 and 2017 respectively, Kylie famously ditched her Pumas on August 16 to sport a pair of Adidas Originals Falcons on Instagram.





last

Flesh for fantasy. With his A. Human exhibition of accessories that look like flesh sculptures growing out of the skin, designer Simon Huck takes a glimpse at the possibilities for fashion of the future. His show aims to inspire visitors to claim their freedom, explore their bodies and, of course, take many selfies. Kim Kardashian and Chrissy Teigen are fans already. September 5-30 at 48 Mercer Street.







logo-small   

is a product
delivered to you by
textilwirtschaft.de | Imprint