Happy Monday and welcome back to a new issue of The Spin! Today we tell you how Gucci has responded to the latest high-school shooting in the US, why Russia's market for counterfeit fashion continues to thrive, and which Dubai-based entrepreneur is quietly becoming the new king of London's high street. Enjoy the read and feel free to share. Cheers, Ulrike


Gucci contra guns. Last Wednesday, Gucci raised eyebrows and even prompted (paywall) a jab from designer Giorgio Armani for its portable, life-like silicone heads that some models carried down the runway. Now, the Italian luxury brand brings out its pro-life attitude by donating $500,000 to a gun-control march planned by survivors of the latest high-school shooting in the US. On February 14, a gunman killed 17 and wounded 14 people in Parkland, Florida.


Unfinished symphony. US sports giant Nike challenges its customers to complete products from a small line of white shoes that are only 90 percent finished. The remaining 10 percent of the aptly named "90/10" line can be personally decorated by customers using stencils, attachable patches, and pins. Some of the results are already on view on social media.


Shifting priorities. In 2017, US apparel sales fell 2 percent to $215 billion. Although Millennials increased their clothing expenditures by 4 percent, they could not make up for declines from older age groups. In addition, growth rates of former market drivers like athletheisure wear and eCommerce, slowed down significantly. According to experts, a third of US consumers consider apparel "less of a spending priority".

For the real hustler. In its second "Counterfeit Culture" documentary, the online lifestyle news site Highsnobiety takes (video) a look behind the scenes of the Russian black market for fake streetwear. Russia's counterfeit industry stretches back to the time when Communism isolated the country from Western products. But even decades after the Soviet Union collapsed, demand for designer knock-offs remains strong. Among the reasons are rising prices for original items combined with the average persons' lack of cash-flow.


And another one... Weighed down by $19.2 million in debt, British footwear and accessories label Charlotte Olympia has filed for bankruptcy protection in the US. As part of its restructuring, the ten-year-old brand plans to close all US stores. The company's six international branches in Great Britain, Russia, Thailand and the United Arab Emirates as well as its online store don't seem to be affected. Last year, the whimsical brand has been rumored to be working on a partnership with Jil Sander-owner Onward Kashiyama.


Against all odds. With his focus on in-demand fashion and customer service, self-proclaimed risk-taker Federico Marchetti has grown YNAP into a $6.4 billion company. As reported, YNAP shareholder Richemont has recently made a tender offer for the remaining Yoox Net-a-porter shares. To give Italy's market realtor Consob sufficient time to evaluate the online retailer's financials, the review period has just been extended for up to 15 days.

Saving London's high street. British entrepreneur Philip Day is quietly growing his 1,113-store retail empire. Since 2001, the Dubai-based billionaire has bought up a dozen retail companies including Edinburgh Woollen Mill, Jaeger, Country Casuals, Peacocks and most recently Berwin & Berwin and is now eyeing the troubled electronics chain Maplin. In 2017, Day opened the first of 50 planned Days Department Stores, which stock products from a number of his brands.


Oh, Jackie! Competition was fierce between the Bouvier sisters, Jackie and Lee, culminating in their love affairs with Aristotle Onassis, whom Jackie married in 1968. Their sibling rivalry over men, money and their mother's love, which is chronicled in a new biography, just extended to the runways. While Tory Burch channeled the younger Princess Lee Radizwitz in her show for Autumn/Winter 2018, designer Jeremy Scott paid tribute to the late Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis at his Moschino runway show in Milan.


is a product
delivered to you by
textilwirtschaft.de | Imprint